New Zealand Passports and Visas
If you want to immigrate to New Zealand, or visit us, then you should read through the following information about what you need, what you can bring into the country, and additional costs.
All visitors to New Zealand must carry a passport that is valid for at least three months beyond the date you intend to leave the country.
You do not need a visa or permit to visit New Zealand if you are:
- A New Zealand citizen or Resident Permit holder
- An Australian citizen travelling on an Australian passport
- An Australian resident with a current Australian resident return visa
- If you are a citizen of a country which has a visa waiver agreement with New Zealand
Currently travellers from more than 50 countries do not require a Visitor's Visa for stays less than three months. You do require:
- A passport that is valid for at least three months after your departure from New Zealand
- An onward or return ticket to a country that you have permission to enter
- Sufficient money to support yourself during your stay - approximately NZ$1000 per month per person
To find out if your country qualifies for a visa waiver, check out the Visiting New Zealand section of the New Zealand Immigration Service Web site. You'll find a list of all eligible countries and other useful visa information. Your travel agent, airline or nearest New Zealand Embassy will also be able to advise you if you require a visa.
British citizens and other British passport holders who have evidence of the right to live permanently in the United Kingdom may be allowed to stay for up to six months.
Visitor's Visa Applications
If your country is not on the visa waiver list or you wish to stay longer than three months you will need to apply for a Visitor's Visa. You can download application forms from the New Zealand Immigration Service Web site, or contact your nearest New Zealand Embassy.
Study and Work Visas
If you're thinking about living permanently in New Zealand, read the Migration section of the New Zealand Immigration Service Web site. It contains a brief summary of immigration requirements and information on obtaining a residence application pack.
No vaccinations are required to enter New Zealand.